Tuesday, April 16, 2013

South Carolina

This coming Sunday, I have my first 4 mile run, and for sure I am woefully under-prepared. After 6 days without running, I arrived in Charleston, SC for some sun, Kayaking and warm-weather running. Today I made a fist at running across the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge, which connects Mount Pleasant with Charleston. It's two and a half miles long, and rises to 186 feet (the tallest section of the bridge is 575 feet... but you can't run up there).

I don't know if any world class runners come from Charleston, SC, but they probably should. I saw plenty of college-age kids scooting up the incline to the top of the bridge, and running this 3 or 4 times a week would be enough to carve out a hardy athlete.

Aaanyway, I'll be leaving sunny Charleston tomorrow, after getting myself burned kayaking in the morning sun (yes, you can burn in 2 hours, in April, in South Carolina. Who'd have thunk it).

In the meantime, I can say I ran to the top of the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge (they need to work on that name), and back again, and survived.

FInally, a huge shout out to Boston, the runner's of the 2013 Boston marathon and the survivors and victims of yesterday's atrocity. Keep running, don't let the bastards get you down.



No comments:

Post a Comment