Saturday, November 2, 2013

Marathon Blues - New PR

So yesterday I went to the Jacob Javits convention center to pick up my race bib for the New York Dash to the Finish Line race, which is a 5K dash to the end of the NY Marathon course. It's both a warm up for the marathoners tomorrow, and an opportunity for those not running the marathon to sock up some of the scenery and atmosphere associated with the big day.

What I didn't realize, but should have guessed, is that the marathoners were also collecting their bibs, and the entire center was constantly reminding me that's who they were catering for.

Welcome... if you're running the Marathon
For the first time, I wished I was running it tomorrow. I'd probably barely make it within 5 hours, and I'd probably be ill for weeks afterwards, but I wish my big day wasn't a ear away...

...but, solace. I did the dash and hit a personal record for 5K (27:30 or 8:53min/mile), and am slowly moving towards the 25 min target.

The Race Starts at the United Nations
Starting at 47th street on First Avenue, runners get to run along 42nd street and then up 6th Avenue towards the park. It's been my favorite race of the year so far, and now I'm only 2 races away from qualifying for the 2014 NYC Marathon, which was my goal in January.

Sunrise on the East Side


No comments:

Post a Comment