Thursday, August 23, 2012

Week 6 - The Elusive 3rd mile

Week 6 has shaken things up a little, where previously each week focused on a routine that was repeated 3 times, week 6 had three different routines.

1) After warmup, jog 6:00 mins, walk 1, Jog 12 mins, walk 2
2) After warmup, jog 10 mins, walk 1, jog 8 mins, walk 2
3) After warmup, jog 20 mins

So today was 6.3 and I completed the 20 mins. It's been difficult to guage my pace until now, as usually I'll start running after setting up the GPS tracer or have to stop to tie a shoelace (this has happened a couple of times) and walking for 2, 3 or 4 mins out of the total run time impacts the pace a lot.

So after 6 weeks, I feel a little better, look a little better and know I am running a little better. But by how much? Well, not as much as I might have thought.

Today I ran 2.3 miles. The first mile I ran in 9:34, which if maintained for 5K would get me in a sniff under 30 mins. The second mile was 9:04, which if started and maintained for 5K would get me in in just about 28 mins. My fastest 5K in recent years has been 28 mins 50 seconds, give or take. However, I really want to beat 25 minutes, so there is a lot of work to do.

To beat 25 mins, I have to average 8 min miles which means an average pace of 7.5 mph. How fast am I now?

Averaged 5mph
Over the last 6 weeks I have averaged just around 5 mph. There has been a slight uptick in the last week, but not nearly enough. Not only to I have to find an extra 20% speed, I need to maintain it for the 3rd mile. During today's run towards the end, I was flagging so it's going to be a few weeks yet.

The June edition of Runner's World has a section on beating 30 mins, 25 mins and 20 mins respectively for a 5K. Their guidance is 25 mins is achievable by "runners who regularly perform long runs of at least eight miles and can complete one all-out mile in about 7:25 to 7:45". That feels like one hell of a mountain to climb.

Despite my best run yet, I suddenly feel further from my goal than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment